Saturday 14 April 2012

Taking Photos of Models

So I thought it might be nice to explain how I take the photo's of my models.

The camera I use is the Fujifilm FinePix S1800. I bought it a couple of years ago (just before the tax increase on electric items) from amazon for £125.



When I take photo's of models I never use a flash. This is because it casts heavy shaddows on the models and generally bleaches out detail. I set the camera on the macro mode and have the camera on automatic (the settings are shown below...but with the exception of no flash and macro the camera chooses these not me :).



I set up an area to take photos by creating a 'background' by using boxes.



Next I cover the area in a sheet of light gray fabric. I used to use this fabric as a gaming mat. Its a good colour for photo background because it doesn't reflect the light too much and the texture looks nice in the photos.

Because I don't use the flash on my camera, I use a desk lamp to cast light on the models.



When taking the photos I position the lamp as close to the models as possible, angled slightly to face the front of the model.



And thats it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment